The concept of opportunity costs has much more applications in the real world than I first imagined. The opportunity cost of one thing is the value of that which is sacrificed to obtain it. When I began to research I was stunned by the number of examples and situations, but the one that interested me the most was the opportunity cost of college. We are all about to go to college in just a couple months, so of course, I wanted to see if this upcoming journey is going to be worth it. The first cost of college: tuition. College is not cheap and according to the College Board, during the 2017-18 school year, the average cost of tuition and fees was $34,740 at private colleges. Now assume it takes you four years to graduate and that is approximately $140,000 that you spend on a college education. Thus, by deciding to go to a private college, the money spent is an opportunity cost as it is something that you did not have to spend if you didn't go to college. In addition, by going to ...
Comments
Post a Comment